Click here to read: HCN Briefing 1 Diet and Food Systems for Health, Climate and Planet
Health and Climate Network (HCN) Briefing 1: Diet and Food Systems for Health, Climate and Planet
This is the first in a series of briefings presenting the link between climate action and health. Diet and Food Systems for Health, Climate and Planet shows how a shift towards unhealthy diets is also driving devastating climate emissions, and these climate emissions are in turn putting pressure on crop yields and food security.
The briefing presents 5 recommendations for a transition towards more sustainable and ecologically friendly food system and diets:
- Promote access to sustainable, affordable, and healthy diets options for all.
- Remove both financial and non-financial incentives that support and promote high-emission, unhealthy food options and agricultural practices.
- Rapidly transition away from unsuitable farming and food processing practices that damage the environment and risk human health.
- Prioritise ecologically sustainable food systems to strengthen resilience, increase food and nutrition security, and lower emissions.
- Ensure that the transition to a more sustainable and ecologically friendly food system is done in a fair and just way.